1. Select the correct meaning of the idiom underlined below:
The farmers paid their dues in kind.
(A) with less money
(B) paid no money
(C) paid in goods
(D) paid one-third
2. Fill in the blank with the correct word:
_____ your advice, I went to see her.
(A) Due to
(B) According by
(C) In pursuance of
(D) Owing to
3. Fill in the blank with the correct word:
The man was fined for _____ false evidence.
(A) giving up
(B) getting out
(C) giving in
(D) getting up
4. Fill in the blank with the correct word:
It is hard to catch a _____ fish in water.
5. ‘Fish out of water‘ means
(A) out of reach
(B) out of fear
(C) out of comfort
(D) out of strength
6. ‘Man‘ can be used as
(C) both (A) and (B)
(D) only (A)
7. Choose the correct meaning of the word from the alternatives given below:
(A) the fear of vehicles
(B) the fear of water
(C) the fear of fire
(D) the fear of snakes
8. Put in present participle in the blank space
_____ food is really inspiring.
(A) To cook
(B) Being cooked
(C) Having cooked
9. Choose the word opposite in meaning to the word underlined below:
Computer facilitates in education these days.
10. Choose the word opposite in meaning to the word underlined below:
The dinner served in the party was quite insipid.
11. A shot in the dark means
(A) to love to go out on adventures
(B) to be able to work very quickly
(C) to be very violent
(D) to take an attempt to guess something
12. Use a suitable auxiliary verb to fill in the blank space:
Believe it or not, I _____ to pay a visit to your home yesterday.
13. Rearrange the following sentence: (S1 and S6 are fixed)
S1: It is far better to live for a short while
P. contribution to the world
Q. and make some insignificant
R. that is just idled away
S. than spend a long life
S6: in gossiping and playing.
14. Insert correct phrasal verb:
The lady _____ to be a close relative of ours.
(A) turned out
(B) turned up
(C) turned in
(D) turned about
15. Fill in the blank with the suitable option:
He _____ to help me and called me a fool.
16. Insert proper preposition in the sentence:
He is an expert _____ the Sitar.
(D) No preposition requiord
17. Fill in the blank with the correct word:
It is high time you _____ home.
(B) go to
(D) went to
18. Fill in with relative pronoun the blank space below:
He is the only man _____ thought me how to write essays properly.
19. Find out the part of speech for the bold word:
The earth moves round the sun.
20. Select the correct meaning of the idiom underlined:
She is cunning to a degree.
(B) in limited situations
(C) with friends only
(D) not cunning
21. ‘Disapproval’ may be expressed by the following Interjection:
22. An Obstetrician deals with
(A) Pregnancy & child birth
(B) Nerve disease
(C) Liver disease
(D) Child disease
23. Which one is the singular number?
24. Find the synonym of the bold word:
25. Insert proper preposition in the blanks:
Ravana was killed _____ Ram _____ an arrow.
(A) for, by
(B) by, to
(C) by, with
(D) for, with